Cycle Friendly Award Officer Job: Description and Responsibilities
Reports to: Office Manager
Location of Role: Edinburgh
Salary: 24,000 pro rata
Contract: Part-time fixed-term (14 hours per week) until 31st March 2019 (with possibility for extension depending on funding)
Closing Date: Monday 6 August 2018
The Edinburgh Bike Station:
The Bike Station is Edinburgh and Perth’s leading bicycle recycling and cycling promotion charity. The aim of the organisation is to promote cycling as a healthy and sustainable means of transport and to protect and preserve the environment for the public benefit across Edinburgh, the Lothians, Perth and Kinross and beyond. It also aims to advance the education of the public in the safe use of bicycles and their repair.
The Bike Station’s key activities include: reconditioned bike sales, fix your own bike sessions, bike maintenance training, professional mechanic training in our Velotech training courses, on-road cycle training,workplace engagement with cycle promotion with Dr Bike as a mobile bike safety check, Dr Bike as a community outreach service, bike repairs, Build your own Bike courses with youth groups. Partnerships, and contract work, all operated as a social enterprise alongside a thriving volunteer base. The combination of these many avenues for individuals and families allow people find the right opportunity to get a reconditioned bike, gain the confidence to plan and make journeys and maintain their own bike at low cost.
As a Cycle Friendly Service Centre, the Edinburgh Bike Station is Cycling Scotland’s local delivery partner in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Purpose of Role
The Cycle Friendly Employer Award is a national award scheme, administered by Cycling Scotland, open to all organisations in Scotland. The award supports businesses and organisations who wish to encourage cycling as a healthy, sustainable and accessible way to travel to work.
The role of the Cycle Friendly Officer is to identify and support organisations in Edinburgh and the Lothians through the award process. The Officer will also provide advice to organisations on the Cycle Friendly programmes in schools, campus and community settings to promote cycling and infrastructure best practice, as well as on available funding opportunities.
The post is based in The Edinburgh Bike Station office with regular travel across Edinburgh and the Lothians. The key responsibilities include:
- Managing the delivery of the Cycle Friendly Award programme in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
- Identifying and contacting organisations that would like to engage with the Cycle Friendly programme, supporting them through the award process, and ensuring award criteria is met.
- Re-assessing previous award holders to ensure continued compliance with the Award.
- Ensuring the project delivers its stated targets.
- Providing advice to employers on funding opportunities, cycling best practice, etc.
- Completing monthly project reports to Cycling Scotland.
- Writing a quarterly e-newsletter to all Cycle Friendly Employers.
- Attendance at the annual Cycling Scotland Conference and networking meetings.
- Utilising social media to support the delivery of the programme.
- Providing PR support to organisations who have successfully achieved the award, e.g. by writing press releases.
- To operate within a set delivery budget that is prescribed and monitored by the Office Manager.
- Perform any other duties considered relevant to the post.
- To comply with all current legislation and Recycle to Cycle policies.
- A qualification and/or equivalent experience in managing and delivering projects.
- Experience of delivering a cycling project is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience of using social media to support project delivery.
- Experience in working to targets and generating leads.
- Ability to manage your time effectively and prioritise your own workload.
Closing Date: Monday 6 August 2018
Application form Cycle Friendly Award Officer by the date above.
Please return to:
Chris Growcott, Office Manager, The Bike Station, 250 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1UU