Post title: Chief Executive Officer
Please note this post has been filled.
Starting Salary: £40,000 pro rata
Status: Part-time: 3 days / 22 hours per week. Following a successful six month probationary period the post will become permanent.
Relationships & accountability: The CEO is accountable to the Chair and Board and will line manage The Bike Station senior management team, with responsibility for the overall leadership and management of the organisation.
Location: The post will divide time between The Bike Station Edinburgh on Causewayside and The Bike Station Perth. The exact split will be determined by operational needs, but a regular presence in both locations is expected. Travel to other locations in Scotland will sometimes be required.
We are a social enterprise and charitable company. Now the largest recycler of bikes in the UK with 25 employees and a turnover of £750,000 our aim is a future where everyone has the opportunity to cycling and its benefits, and access to the support, advice and skills they need to keep their bike safely on the road. We refurbish donated bikes, sell them at affordable prices and use the proceeds to overcome barriers to cycling in Scotland.
We are seeking someone confident, enthusiastic and able to achieve great things with limited resources to build upon past successes and identify and engage with new opportunities for growth. Our CEO will be a great communicator, well versed in financial planning and reporting and committed to our aims. Responsible for the overall leadership and management of the organisation, including its financial viability and sustainability, they will seek out, initiate and develop new opportunities and relationships for The Bike Station across Scotland.
Application is by CV and letter of interest, stating why you would like the role and outlining how you fit the person specification, to: firstname.lastname@example.org We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Deadline for applications: 12 noon Monday 9th July 2018
Interviews: will be held week beginning July 16th 2018
For an informal conversation about the role please contact Alan Brown at email@example.com
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Ensuring robust management of the senior team through outstanding leadership.
- Working with the Board to implement the organisational strategy, policy and efficient procedures to ensure the organisation delivers its obligations to its volunteers and community.
- Development and delivery of business plans and fundraising activity to ensure income is continually secured to deliver the organisation objectives.
- Provision of a sound governance, risk management and financial management framework
The successful applicant will:
- Identify ambitious growth plans for The Bike Station and clearly communicate how they will be achieved
- Prepare and present budgets and forecasts and work with the Board to ensure a sustainable future for the organisation
- Provide the Board with timely and accurate management information to enable it to make informed strategic decisions
- Think strategically and plan workflow accordingly with limited resources
- Find and secure new opportunities for funding and partnerships
- Act as spokesperson for The Bike Station for the press and media and at events as necessary, alongside the project managers
- Direct the effective marketing and sale of refurbished bicycles and accessories
- Deliver robust and supportive management to build an effective and committed team of staff and volunteers
- Set a positive, honest and enthusiastic tone and working environment
- Uphold a commitment to high quality across all our products and services
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of managing an organisation or department with similar turnover and of similar scale
- Experience writing and developing business plans and budgets
- Experience of managing funding applications to trusts and tendering for statutory funding
- Strategic thinking and leadership skills
- Creative problem-solving with the ability to work with sometimes constrained resources
- A dynamic and positive attitude capable of motivating and persuading others
- Creative problem-solving and the ability to work with sometimes constrained resources
The ability to demonstrate any of the following would be desirable but not essential:
- Retail industry experience
- Experience of successful high value fundraising
- Knowledge of HR policies and procedures
- Experience of driving organisational change
- Experience of the bike trade
The post holder may from time-to-time be required to work outside the normal working hours – either as flexible hours or Time off in Lieu (TOIL).
The particular duties and responsibilities attached to this post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility, with any changes being undertaken in agreement with the post holder.
The Bike Station, 250 Causewayside, Newington, Edinburgh EH9 1UU. Registered as Recycle-to-Cycle Ltd, a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered in Edinburgh under company numbers SC237798 and SC237799. Scottish charity number SC033703.