The Bike Station (Recycle to Cycle & Recycle to Cycle Trading ltd.)
Job title: Assistant Mechanic
Job Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Hours: Full time 35 hours per week Fixed Term Contract until 31st March 2022. Applicants interested in Job share (part time hours) and/or flexible working are welcome.
Salary: Living Wage
Benefits: 35 days per year annual leave (pro-rata), pension contribution
The Assistant Mechanic will report to the Communities Manager but will be under supervision of the Communities Mechanic.
Closing date: 14 October 2021
Purpose of the Role
The Shifting Gears Assistant Mechanic role is a paid part-time post supporting the Communities team within The Bike Station. It is an opportunity to gain training and practical experience of working as a bike mechanic as well as qualifications. It will prepare you for a Mechanic role in the cycling sector and boost your employability.
The traineeship is full-time. The Bike Station supports job share arrangements and flexible working. This means we welcome applicants who would prefer to work part time under a job share arrangement, allowing you to combine this role with study or other commitments. Qualifications will be undertaken at The Bike Station.
We encourage applications from anyone who is part of a community underrepresented in the bike industry workforce, including young people, members of the BAME community and women.
Responsibilities and Duties
Duties will be tailored to suit the successful applicant’s experience and interests. Training will be provided for all duties. You will also receive support to gain qualifications. The following list shows the types of tasks the Assistant Mechanic will carry out and responsibilities:
- Clean bikes and parts
- Strip bikes to harvest parts for use in refurbishment.
- Refurbish bikes for the communities programme.
- Input data for refurbished bikes.
- Assist with retail duties and customer service.
- Complete Velotech Silver and Gold qualifications (or equivalent).
- Other duties as directed by the Communities Mechanic.
- Abide by The Bike Station’s policies.
We are looking for a person who can show the following:
- Some experience / knowledge of basic bike maintenance (gained through participation in Shifting Gears bike maintenance activities OR other activities).
- Interest in bikes and cycling.
- Open to learning new things.
- Willing to accept guidance and instruction from mentor (Communities Mechanic).
- Prepared to work towards qualifications in bike maintenance.
- Commitment to the role – attending on time for contracted hours, ready to work.
- Willing to work independently and as part of a team.