Volunteer Board Member
The Bike Station profile:
We are a social enterprise and charitable company dedicated to helping people to overcome barriers to cycling in Scotland. We recycle donated bikes, sell them at affordable prices and use the proceeds to help more people across Scotland get cycling, help people learn to ride their bicycles safely and learn to repair them themselves. As a charitable company, we also support our activities through grant funding. We work for a future where everyone has the opportunity to enjoy cycling and its benefits and can access the support, advice and skills they need to keep their bike safely on the road.
Board members attend six meetings a year, at least one of which is in Perth. Meetings are usually on a weeknight from 18:45 to 20:45. Trustees are also invited to the Annual General Meeting.
The Bike Station, 250 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1UU and The Bike Station, 284 High Street, Perth PH1 5QS. Note: We are particularly keen to recruit board members in the Dundee and Perth & Kinross area; there will be potential to attend Edinburgh meetings by Skype as appropriate. Expenses incurred by travelling to meetings will be reimbursed.
Board Member: Job description:
- To ensure that the Bike Station complies with its governing document (the Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that the Bike Station pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure that the Bike Station applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects. For example, it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be
- Contribute actively to the board of trustees by giving firm strategic direction to the Bike Station, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguard the good name and values of the Bike Station
- To ensure the financial stability of the Bike Station
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve leading discussions, identifying key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, and evaluating or offering advice on other areas in which the trustee has particular expertise. We are particularly keen to recruit trustees with experience in HR and financial management.
Each trustee board member must have:
- a commitment to the mission of the Bike Station
- a willingness to attend meetings regularly and give of their time and expertise on specific issues
- strategic vision
- good, independent judgement
- an ability to think creatively
- a willingness to speak their mind
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of the Bike Station
Please email us at email@example.com with the title “Treasurer” to express interest, and we will send you a short application form.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. If you are interested but unsure if this role is for you, we would be happy to have an informal chat: please contact Alan Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: add date